Evan Rachel Wood is explaining why she has yet to publicly reveal the identities of the men who raped her in an emotional new video.
The ‘Westworld’ actress, 30, posted a 15 minute clip to Twitter on Wednesday, in which she talked through the gear and concerns she has about naming her rapists.
Wood described the individuals as ‘very powerful, very rich, very entitled, very narcissistic white men,’ but offered not other details beyond stating that she has walked out of award shows when one of the men has been honored with a trophy.
The actress revealed last year that she had been sexually assaulted on at least two occasions, once by an ex-boyfriend and once by a man she identified as a bar owner.
In her video on Wednesday, she said it took her seven years to even admit to herself that she had been sexually assaulted by these men.
‘I haven’t named my abusers for a number of reasons. One, I’m one person against some very powerful people,’ said Wood.
‘Two: money and time and retraumatizing yourself, go after the person who assaulted you takes quite a toll.’
She went on to state: ‘It’s a terrifying thing to go through, mainly because you are at the risk of not being believed, your career being hurt, you being drained of your finances because it costs a lot of money to file a lawsuit and go to court with someone, especially if all you have is your word against theirs.’
Wood then added: ‘And especially if these are very powerful people.’
The actress circled back to that idea multiple times throughout the lengthy video, which seemed to be filmed at a studio while the actress was not on set.
‘Once again you’re at the mercy of your abuser’s and you kicked a hornet’s nest and you have a target on your back,’ she explained.
‘It took me seven years after I was raped to even admit that I was raped, that I should be upset and to get help for the trauma I endured. I’m still working through that.’
Woods then revealed that while she has not gone public with the names, she has told friends and family about her attackers.
‘I am not ready to go through that and to relive those things and I should not be punished for that,’ said Wood of her desire to remain silent.
‘The fact that women are not able to name their abusers is not their fault.’
Wood also stated: ‘If the victim is not ready you cannot fight that battle for them.’
She revealed then that she had ‘left awards shows cause I’ve watched them walk up on stage and accept a statue.’
As for why she chooses to stay in a industry that can be so toxic and work to hide these offenses, Wood said: ‘It’s easier to fight from the inside
She then encouraged all victims to share the names of their attackers, and for people to not work with these men and women.
The actress closed out be again reiterating how hard it is to publicly address sexual harassment and assault.
‘I’m here to tell you I’m afraid, and I don’t think that’s my fault,’ said Wood.
She shared her past sexual assaults with Rolling Stone back in November.
‘I’ve been raped. By a significant other while we were together. And on a separate occasion, by the owner of a bar,’ said Wood.
‘I don’t believe we live in a time where people can stay silent any longer. Not given the state our world is in with its blatant bigotry and sexism.’