A young man tragically died in a mushroom factory attempting to save his brother who got into difficulty in a silo.
Gary Askin, aged in his mid 20s, attempted to save his brother Stephen from the silo with another man when they also got into trouble.
Gardai arrived on the scene at the McGee Mushrooms plant in Cornacrieve, Emyvale, Monaghan, on Wednesday night to find the three men unconscious in the silo.
Tragic Monaghan native Gary was pronounced dead at the scene while his brother Stephen and the other man were transferred to Cavan General Hospital.
Both men’s injuries are not believed to be life threatening.
Local councillor Brian McKenna said the community was in shock after the tragic incident, the Irish Mirror reports.
The Sinn Fein councillor told the Irish Mirror: “The whole community is in shock it’s an awful tragedy.
“It’s just one of these awful tragedies that happens and the whole area is in disbelief.”
Investigations have been launched by the Health and Safety Authority and the Gardai.
A post mortem of the victim’s body is expected to take place at some stage on Thursday.
A Garda spokesperson said: “One man has died and two others were taken to hospital following an incident at a mushroom processing plant in Monaghan.
“At approximately 8.00pm, emergency services received a call about three males in their 20’s suffering from breathing difficulties at a mushroom processing plant at Cornacrieve, Emyvale, Monaghan.
“On arrival emergency services found three men unconscious in a silo at the plant.
“One man was pronounced dead at the scene and two others have been removed to Cavan General Hospital.
“A post mortem examination will take place today September 14th.
“The area is sealed off pending a technical examination by Garda Crime Scene Examiners, The Health and Safety Authority have been notified and are expected at the scene this morning.”