A sexually explicit video showing a six-year-old boy being sexually abused by a teenage girl was sent to pupils at a UK school and from there it went viral.
The footage believed to have been filmed in the US was sent via Snapchat and Instagram to a number of children at Knole Academy, in Sevenoaks, Kent, on Monday afternoon. It came to light when one of them informed school principal Mary Boyle.
Just within five minutes of the video being shared online, 20,000 people had already viewed it. It didn’t last long online because it was soon taken down as soon as the authorities were made aware. In a letter issued to parents yesterday, Mrs Boyle said the shocking images had “appeared on the accounts of a number of pupils” and police had been informed.
“It would appear the incident took place in the United States of America,” she said.
Mrs Boyle added: “The British police are investigating the distribution of the video. We are very grateful that one our students came into school this morning and informed us of the video and allowed us to quickly contact the police. The investigation is being made more complicated because the video was viewed 20,000 times in five minutes just yesterday.”
A Kent Police spokesman confirmed specialist officers were investigating where the video had originated from.
He added: “Kent Police is aware that a video file containing inappropriate and explicit material has been widely circulated in the country on social media and seen by a number of young people in Kent. The video is the subject of a current investigation by another police force. Kent Police has received a number of calls about the file and is looking to establish whether any offences have been committed locally. Officers are advising anyone that receives the file to delete it and not to forward or share as this may constitute a criminal offence.”