Maraschino cherries (with the stem)
Extra bananas for garnish
For the donuts:
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 large banana (mashed)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons buttermilk
For the donuts:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a donut pan with shortening and set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk together the egg brown sugar, butter, banana, vanilla, and buttermilk until smooth and all lumps from the brown sugar are dissolved. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Put the batter into a pipe bag and pipe rounds into your pan until about 2/3 full. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
For the chocolate icing:
1. Place the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and water in a small bowl. Put in the microwave for 20 seconds. Remove and mix together.
2. Put back in the microwave for another 20 seconds and once done, remove and mix together until all lumps are gone and icing is smooth.
1. Once the donuts are cooled, place them on a drying rack with paper towels underneath to catch any mess.
2. With a spoon, drizzle the chocolate icing onto the donuts to make it look like chocolate fudge. Don’t dip the donuts in the icing because it won’t give the same melted effect. Top with rainbow sprinkles while the icing is still wet.
3. In the middle of the donut, put whipped cream (or vanilla frosting if you want it to last longer) and top with a cherry.
4. Take your strawberry syrup and drizzle that in a zig zag shape over the whole donut to finish it off. Put it in a banana split bowl and garnish with bananas! Now that’s a banana split!
Are you hungry for breakfast yet?! I sure am! But I do have another five of these in the fridge calling my name.